Brinjal Moju is a Sri Lankan eggplant curry I had when I visited Kalutara, Sri Lanka (brinjal is eggplant). This is a variation of a recipe I found after coming home and is probably significantly less spicy than it would be if it were made authentically. 🥵
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 whole large eggplants cut into small strips
- 1 whole large onion
- 3-4 whole dried chili peppers (thai chili peppers work well)
- 1 whole bell pepper (optional)
- 3 clove minced garlic
- 1 piece ginger ~1 inch, chopped
- curry powder to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 whole cardamom pods
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 2/3 cup water
- oil for frying
- In a large skillet, heat a large amount of oil on medium heat
- Fry the eggplant until lightly brown on both sides.
- While the eggplant is frying, mix tamarind paste with water.
- When done, remove eggplant and place on paper towels.
- In the same oil, fry the onions & bell peppers until soft.
- Pour a small amount of oil in a pan or wok and heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, chilies and fry until fragrant.
- Add tamarind mixture & all spices and heat until boiling.
- Reduce to simmer & add eggplant, onions & bell pepper.
- The sauce should reduce somewhat to coat veggies. Serve over rice or whatever you like!
Recipe Categories: Mains
Meal Types: Dinner
Cuisines: Asian, Sri Lankan